Saturday, June 18, 2011

Pickles, Pickles, Every Where ...

I like Pickles. So I wanted to make some.  I went to the farmers market today in Copper Young Area. They had fruit, vegetables and yummy things to eat. Even a guy who owns a worm farm! They had some delicious looking beets, so I got some to make pickle beets. Not your ordinary pickle. 

I needed some help for this. First we roasted the beets, then we made a pickle juice. Ours had water, apple cider vinegar, cloves, bay leaf, pink peppercorns, cinnamon, cardamon and sugar.  We sliced the beets, added them to a sterilized jar and poured the pickling juice in. I think they will be fabulous!

A couple of weeks ago we made dill pickles. I sliced the cucumbers with a crinkle cutter and we used a package of pickle mix. They are not as good as last years but they look pretty.

I also used some of the pickle juice from the beets and added fresh thinly sliced stalks of garlic and mashed it up. Mom said it would be a good salad dressing. 

Get creative in the kitchen! Don't forget to visit the worm guy at the farmers market too. 

Love the cabbage, Leaf