Monday, June 22, 2015

Southern inspired recipe for the Lee Brothers


One of the coolest things about being a kid chef is that you get to meet and research cool chefs. One set of those cool chefs are the Lee Brothers.

The Lee Brothers have southern roots, and they are always pushing the envelope, they also have great cook books.

That got me thinking about this great pimento cheese I make and how could I push the envelope?



So, I decided to make this Pimento Macaroni and Cheese with a corn bread topping, I started with a blend of smoked cheeses 




including: Smoked Gruyere,Smoked Mozzarella,  Sharp Cheddar and Monterrey Jack.  I added half and half and 2 eggs. I then decided on some smoked salt, smoked paprika and pepper. I fire roasted a red pepper and diced it up fine. I used about 3/4 of it.
  
Then I mixed it all together and ladled it into some small square pan I have for an individual portion.


I knew I wanted a cornbread crumb topping so I whipped up a regular Jiffy mix and after it was done crumbled it into a small skillet with butter.

I topped each with some additional cheese and the butter crumbs and baked it up.

Next I thought about a doing some Catfish to go with. I used 1/2 cup of half and half and added some vinegar and some paprika, hot sauce and cayenne. I let the fish marinade a couple of hours. Then I saw those cornbread crumbs and thought why not? I simply dredged the fish and pan fried it.

I know I wanted a hot sauce so I used some Crystals, vinegar, Steen's syrup and butter and cooked it down for the top of the fish.



The cornbread give a nice slightly sweet flavor and the fish was super tender and moist. Pretty Unusual but hey that is why cooking is fun.


I forgot the Lee Brothers have a new Show on Ovation TV and  I cant wait to watch. Maybe I can even get a guest spot!













Love the Cabbage Leaf,

Logan




Here's the recipe:







You can also Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Vine.