Monday, May 1, 2017

Well, Butter my Biscuits...

The National Cornbread Festival!

I really enjoy a good festival, so when I saw the National Cornbread Festival in South Pittsburg TN. I had to go. Lodge talked to me and I was selected to be the Emcee of the Kid's Cook Off. 

It took some convincing to get Dad to drive but we set off on a road trip. Yaaa, road trips are so much fun. After the five hour car ride we finally arrived. 

The festival was a great mix of, art, music, carnival fun, and of course great corn bread. I Emceed the 4-H cornbread cook off. That means 4th graders compete for $500 and bake their recipe for the win. The tension was high, these kids all really wanted to win. When your 9-10 years old 500 bucks is a lot of money. Heck, it is a lot of money to just about everyone.

The festival sponsored by Lodge Cast Iron and Martha White cornbread mix was huge almost 30K of people showed up for the fun

It's interesting to learn about the benefits of cooking in cast iron and the love affair cast iron has with cornbread. One tip I learned was to pre-heat your cast iron pan before pouring in the corn bread to make sure it won't stick. I use cast iron now and then but with some new tricks and a new skillet, of course, it might be my go to pan. 
I also found this really cool knife made out of an old railroad spike that I just can't wait to try. 

The high point of the whole trip was defiantly the Lodge Foundry tour. Seeing how such a classic and distinctly American product is made and taking a trip back in thyme a little bit looking at how a business evolved since 1896. Actually noticing when machinery changed and the break room got redesigned was quite fascinating.

Cast iron is one of those cooking methods that has a learning curve but if your able to master it then it will work forever, like forever.
First the pans need to be seasoned and then you need to care for these pans carefully. It isn't too much extra work and it is pretty easy once you commit to your pan. Name your skillet it helps.

Watch for me to post up a video on the care and seasoning of a pan or two and you might just join me in loving this sustainable and healthy cookware. 
Hit this link for a cool 360' video I took in the foundry! 

https://s.insta360.com/p/0aab1274c0a391129542431bb3279723

Love the Cabbage,
Logan



You can also Follow me on Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, YouTube, and Vine.